Sales professionals know the importance of growing one’s knowledge about the industry and the market. That is why you attend sales training, conferences, and seminars. You may even be reading journals and books or watching sales training videos during your free time.
If you are looking for a fun way to learn and get inspired, consider watching movies. There may be a lot of stories filled with clichés and unrealistic stories, but you may also find gems that will leave you with life lessons you can use in both your personal and professional life.
To help you get started, here are 10 of the best movies that give a glimpse of life in sales:
- Glengarry Glen Ross (1992) - This film follows the story of four salesmen working in a failing real estate company. Watch how they try to sell some property in desperation to avoid losing their jobs.
- Seize the Day (1986) - This television film based on Saul Bellow’s novel of the same name shares the story of a middle-aged salesman Tommy Wilhelm. He lost his job, his life started falling apart, and his loved ones turned their backs on him.
- Death of a Salesman (1985) - Adapted from an award-winning play, Death of a Salesman tells the tragic story of Willy Loman. While watching his story unfold, you may start wondering about success and the real key to happiness.
- Boiler Room (2000) - The title of the movie itself refers to “boiler room operations”, which is where brokers use high pressure to successfully sell stocks. Perhaps the character who caught the attention of most fans is Jim Young. Despite how he seems to show that ruthlessness is effective in sales, he also highlights the virtue of hard work and how success begets further success.
- Tin Men (1987) - The story of Tin Men revolves around two rival door-to-door salesmen for aluminum siding in the early ‘60s. Aside from their rivalry, the audience also witnesses how these characters face their personal troubles. It also touches on corrupt sales practices.
- Pursuit of Happyness (2006) - Pursuit of Happyness is a biographical film that tells the story of Chris Gardner. As a homeless salesman with a son to support, Gardner used his sales skills to earn a full-time broker position.
- The Founder (2016) - This biographical movie tells the story of Ray Kroc, a traveling salesman selling milkshake machines. Follow his journey in helping McDonald’s, a popular walk-up restaurant, open to franchising and how he took over the business.
- Jerry Maguire (2000) - This film is about a sports agent who loses his job after sharing a moral epiphany. Follow his journey to start anew as he faces the struggles of opening a new business.
- The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - This movie shares the true story of Jordan Belfort and how he rose from an entry-level broker at Wall Street to become the owner of a firm. It also features the popular “sell me this pen” scene, which showcases how helpful it is in sales to create a sense of urgency in clients.
- The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard (2009) - Watch how the main character, Don Ready, tries to use his extraordinary skills as a salesperson to save a car dealership from bankruptcy. The subsequent events show how creativity is necessary to achieve success.
Did you like the article? Help us spread it 🚀
Our other top stories: